Calgary Fridge Repair | A broken refrigerator can really put a halt to your day. Your plans suddenly shift from spending time with your family to cleaning up melted ice cream and trying to find a temporary solution for all of the groceries that need to be cooled.
When it comes to refrigerator issues, it can involve replacing major parts and lead to a hefty refrigerator service bill. Homeowners are then faced with the dilemma: should it be repaired or replaced?
When to call for a refrigerator repair service
Some issues that may seem like a serious problem can be simply fixed. Some of the most common refrigerator service problems are:
- Doors not sealing properly
- The machine is not making ice
- The water dispenser is not working
- A noisy fan
- The fresh food section is not cooling
- Condensation or frost
If you’re experiencing any of the above, inspect your fridge before calling for refrigerator repair service. Check that the appliance is plugged all the way or that the breaker isn’t tipped. Vacuum the coils, replace the water filter, and move items away from the air ducts.
When to replace your refrigerator
We recommend replacing your refrigerator if the repair costs more than half of a new fridge. The age of the fridge is also a factor – if the appliance is reaching its ten-year lifespan or more, it’s better to upgrade it to a newer model.
Some signs to look out for that may indicate a replacement:
- A loud noise coming from the compressor
- The freezer is not cooling at all
- The motor is constantly running
Tips to extend the lifespan of your fridge
Dealing with a malfunctioning fridge is not fun, and the cost associated with refrigerator repair or replacement can be stressful. To avoid a premature breakdown and to help keep your appliance running efficiently:
- Keep refrigerator coil clean along the bottom or rear of your appliance
- Limit the number of times you open the doors
- Avoid overloading the fridge
- Make sure items don’t block interior air vents
- Clean door gaskets so they seal properly
- Call a professional as soon as you notice even the smallest issue