Calgary Repair Appliances | A washing machine that won’t drain or a stove that fails to heat up can be very disruptive to our daily routine. A quick search on the cost of replacing any one of these major appliances adds to the stress.
If you’re experiencing a major appliance breakdown, the question is – is it better to replace it or schedule an appliance repair in Calgary? We answer this popular question below.
The average life of major home appliances
Consumer Reports gives us the following estimates for major home appliances:
- Refrigerator: 13 years
- Stove: 13 – 15 years
- Dishwasher: 9 years
- Microwave: 9 years
- Washer: 10 years
- Dryer: 13 years
- Furnace: 15 – 20 years
- Water heater: 10 – 20 years
- Air conditioner: 15 years
Of course, the above numbers also depend on the brand and how well-maintained the appliance is. The good news is, there are some steps you can take to extend the life of your appliances.
Tips on extending the life of your home appliance
Like cars, major appliances operate with a system of interconnected parts that need regular maintenance. Damage on even the smallest component can impact the efficiency of the machine.
Unfortunately, many homeowners make the mistake of not maintaining their appliances, leading to a premature break down of these parts. To improve your appliances’ lifespan, here are some tips to follow:
- Clean your dishwasher drain regularly
- Keep your dishwasher’s filter clear
- Run a cleaning cycle on your dishwasher and washing machine once a month
- Don’t overload your washing machine
- Vacuum your refrigerator coils
- Clean your oven regularly
- Clean your dryer’s exhaust duct regularly
- Keep up with your furnace’s maintenance schedule
- Read through your appliances’ manual for proper care
No matter how consistent you are with maintenance, there comes a time when your home appliance needs to be replaced. If you’re faced with the decision to repair or replace your appliance, consider the following:
- The cost of repair: Contact your local Calgary home appliance repair shop and ask for a quote. If the repair cost is more than 50% of a new machine, consider the value of purchasing a new one compared to repairing your older model.
- Age: If you only need to repair one refrigerator part, but your fridge is more than ten years old, take into account the cost of repairs in the near future. While it may be one or two parts today, other parts will continue to break down and may need more repairs.
- New technology: Today’s new appliances are significantly more advanced with energy-efficient technology and better-operating systems. Research the benefits of a new appliance that you need and compare the differences it might make on your utility bill and how it can help make your daily routine easier.